Friday, December 13, 2024
It's Going to be Okay
I am going to tell you something most people don't know about me. I'm secretly an optimist. Those of you who know me personally might be falling over in disbelief, but it is true. Also true is that the majority of people I know would probably describe me as a pessimist, and I have often called myself that as well. For me, being a pessimist is kind of a superstitious thing, like when people throw salt over their shoulder to ward off evil or bring good luck.
To give you an idea of just how bad my pessimism has been, I will tell you that one of my friends calls me, "Worst case scenario Heffalump." Of course, she uses my actual name and not Heffalump, but you get the gist. Another friend routinely lectures me on my habit of verbalizing the worst things that can happen in any given situation. I am reminded of the immortal words of Edna Mode when she said, "Luck favors the prepared." Somehow, when I imagine the worst, I feel more prepared to face the unexpected mishaps of life. However, despite my habit of pointing out all the things that can go wrong, that is not who I am inside. Inside, I believe that everything will work out. Even the hard stuff.
Do I believe everything will go my way at every moment? Of course not. Life is HARD. Bad things happen. I have lived long enough to have had personal experiences with grief and pain. Sometimes our best efforts fall short. Unexpected things happen. People let us down. But despite all of those things and many more...it's going to be okay. There is hope. Difficult things strengthen us as we push through them. Forgiveness brings healing. Second chances happen. Third ones too, and on and on. There is light in the world and we find it when we pay attention and look for it. Looking for light is needed now more than ever. And if things are really bad and you aren't finding light anywhere, do your best to BE the light. It will make a difference. Take it from a well-known pessimist like me. Optimism wins in the end.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
1 comment:
Beautiful thoughts. I needed them today. Thank you.
Post a Comment