Sunday, January 13, 2013

Surfacing

Sometimes I feel like I spend most of life swimming underwater. This is not a joke about living in a wet climate. Depression dulls things, makes me feel less, makes things look darker, makes food taste bland, makes things that usually bring happiness less satisfying somehow. I still look for those happier things. I still go through life and do my best to really live, and I have degrees of happiness within a more confined range of feelings. I just can't seem to connect the way I want to. Everything is muffled, limited, farther out of reach, insulated. It's very difficult to explain.

Then there are days where a little light comes on, and it's like I am surfacing; out from under the water and into the bright sunshine. Things are warm, touched with light, colorful and beautiful. Life becomes breathtaking. Love feels more piercing and exquisite. Food tastes unbelievable. Breathing brings satisfaction and just a look or a touch from someone else makes a connection. There are moments of overwhelming joy and I feel like light is pouring out of my whole soul. Those moments are what makes all the swimming underwater worth it. It's worth it just for the surfacing.

5 comments:

Nancy Face said...

This is beautiful.

Heffalump said...

Thanks Nancy.

Mrs. Organic said...

I love this metaphor. And I love you.

Carrot Jello said...

Very nice, Heff.

Rachelle said...

I think you described it perfectly! At least it describes my depression perfectly. I've never been able to find the right words to explain it to anyone else...but you did. I'm glad we are friends. Miss you!